Sherpa Law is a niche law firm specialized in Tax law and Corporate/M&A law.
As a multi-niche legal practice Sherpa Law primarily operates in the field of tax law, corporate/M&A and estate planning, from which it provides legal advice and assistance to a broad range of clients: from small and medium sized companies to listed companies, investors, entrepreneurs and private individuals, as well as their respective advisors.
Years of experience
As Sherpa Law’s managing partner, Jo Roseleth is an active member within the academic world. He is a guest lecturer at the Fiscale Hogeschool in Brussels and a frequent speaker at seminars. He is a member of the advising committee for “Fiscale Actualiteit”, and of the Belgian Association for Tax Lawyers (BATL). Alain Claes specializes in anti-money laundering legislation and criminal tax law. He is a guest lecturer at Odisee and the Fiscale Hogeschool in Brussels, and a frequent speaker at seminars. He is also a member of several committees, such as the advising committee for “Accountancy & Fiscaliteit”, the council of the Dutch Speaking Bar Association in Brussels and the Anti-Money Laundering Committee of the National Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE).
Sherpa Law’s commercial law experts assist clients in a various range of commercial matters across many different market segments. This practice area is being led by Tom Vanraes. He is deputy judge at the Commercial Court of Brussels and is often appointed as judicial trustee.
Sherpa Law’s corporate and M&A department is led by Kurt Faes. Having started his career at Allen & Overy, Kurt was one of the key founders of Ambos NBGO. He also gained experience as in-house counsel.
Our estate planning team focuses on advising entrepreneurs, private investors and families with the structuring and planning of their assets. This practice is being managed by Dirk Coveliers and Peter Meeuwssen.
Some examples of services
Sherpa Law’s Tax practice deals with corporate (international) tax queries in connection to a.o.:
- Strategic tax exercises
- Business model optimalisations
- The OECD Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (‘BEPS’) project
- Real estate & M&A transactions
- Transfer pricing
- Tax compliance
- Advice and assistance during tax audits
- Negotiations with the tax authorities and other offices
- Handling of tax claims at an administrative level
- Litigating in tax courts, including the Supreme Court, the Constitutional Court and the European Court of Justice
- Litigating in criminal courts
Sherpa Law represent clients before all courts and administrative and regulatory bodies in Belgium and, where necessary, will help them together with our associate firms before foreign courts in the following corporate litigation matters:
- buy-out and expulsion of shareholders
- claims by investors
- control and decision-making
- corporate governance issues
- liability of (managing) directors
- litigation regarding spin-offs, demergers, discontinuation and dissolution of companies
- litigation related to mismanagement
- post-closing takeover disputes (breaches of warranties, interpretation of purchase agreements, liability for non-performance, etc.)